We have all been there. You’re so excited. You finally get a date with that person of interest, but then comes the date and you have no clue what to say. Silence can be a good thing, at times, but it rarely is on the first date. It can just be awkward. To avoid this awkward silence here are some questions to ask on the first date or anytime you need a conversation starter.
Some Basic Conversation Starters:
- How was your day?
Where are you from?
Do you have any big plans this week?
- How big is your family / how many siblings do you have?
- Tell me about your family.
- Do you have any pets?
- What classes are you taking in school?
- What are you studying?
- Do you enjoy the classes you are taking?
- What do you want to pursue as far as a career?
- Have you ever been outside of the country?
- Where is your favorite place to go on vacation?
- Where are your parents from?
- What music do you like to listen to?
- What are your favorite bands?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite TV Show?
- What was the last movie you saw in a theater?
- Where do you work?
- What was your best job?
- Have you been to any concerts?
Some of the questions above are pretty basic, but showing genuine interest when you ask and paying attention can turn some of these mundane questions into great conversations.
More Random – But Fun – Conversation Starters:
- Do you have any celebrity crushes?
- What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep?
- What is the weirdest thing about you?
- What would you be doing if you were not here right now?
- Tell me your most embarrassing moment.
- Have you ever requested a song on the radio?
- What is the last movie you watched?
- What is your dream car?
- What is the first thing that you notice about a girl/guy?
- If you could go any place in the world where would you go?
- What were you doing at 3:30 PM yesterday?
- What do you do to reduce stress?
- When was the last time you saw your grandparents?
- What would you do with a million dollars?
- Wal-Mart or Target?
- Are there any stores you refuse to shop in?
- What are some of your long-term life goals?
- What are some of the rules your parents had for you as a child?
Some More Personal Conversation Starters:
- When was the last time you held hands with someone?
- How many people have you kissed?
- What do you look for in a guy/girl?
- Tell me about your first crush.
- When was the last time you cried?
- Tell me about your worst break-up ever.
- Tell me your first kiss story.
- What is the most awkward date you have ever been on?
- What is your number one turn off in a guy/girl?
- Tell me about your perfect guy/girl
- Where were you on September 11, 2001?
If you are looking for first date conversation starters, you may want to stay with some of the basic conversation starters and maybe a few more creative humorous conversation starters. You may also be interested in reading this article from on eHarmony on questions never to ask your date. Asking the right questions can not only better your chances of getting a second or third date, but asking the wrong ones will turn your date into that embarrassing story your date will tell their friends for years.
These dating conversation starters are just to get you thinking. Be yourself and be confident! Be a good listener and enjoy being with your date.